A simple, well lighted California salad

I was walking though the the produce section of my local Meglomart picking up some garlic for my Arrabbiata pasta yesterday evening -- <shudder> I had run out!! Something that is not supposed to happen -- when I spied a SPECIAL SALE!!! on creamy  cilantro/avocado dressing.

It was pretty and green with a naturally artistic-ish label and I picked up a bottle to take a look.  $5.99 for sugar, sodium, more sugar and a long list of chemical crud I can't hope to pronounce.  Sheesh, why ruin a perfectly good salas with that? I have all the core stuff, grown right  in my garden or sourced locally.  I can make that cheaper and 100x better.

So I did.

I made a creamy and luscious cilantro and avocado dressing that was so good, all I could think at first taste was, "If I was Paul Newman, I could sell this for millions of bucks."

Simple and all California was the mandate.

1 Avocado (from Steinbeck's long valley)
2 cups or so of cilantro from the garden
1/2 a large Central valley orange
some Sonoma county xtra virgin Olive Oil and red wine vinegar
a few sprigs of dill from the garden

Then into the food processor for about 20 seconds, adding as much oil and red wine vinegar to achieve the desired viscosity and or course, to taste

I then glopped it over some of the first Spring greens from my garden and a few sliced radishes.

Add a sprinkle of Romano or Goat cheese, if you swing that way and you're good to go.

This is pretty much a perfect, simple and healthy and yummy beyond belief salad.



And, and, it costs far less than $5.99 and I have enough for at least three more nights of salad, or for dipping some ciabatta toast in.

I think this weekend I'll go to the nursery and buy an Avocado tree for planting.

To be clear, I am NOT Paul Newman so you'll have to come on over to the ranch some time to sample this dressing.

Comments

Popular Posts