Happy accidents

Some times things work out for a reason and new data is captured making everything all right with my world.

Yesterday was a prime example of welcoming these tiny detours.

On Wednesday night, I'd cooked a workingman's dinner for my hard working college student son, home for the Summer from SUNY NY.  He's doing construction work this summer and making good dough, but also eating like a horse after 8 hours of physical labor. It's good for him.  So on Wednesday, realizing he couldn't survive on some simple pasta and a salad, I got ready to do a huge steak and Irish potatoes thing; pretty much his favorite meal.  I took the time to put together a magnificent marinade five hours in advance and after pounding the NY steaks with my new meat pounder set them aside to wait.

When he got home,  I was told he was immediately going out with a few pals (I sure remember the energy of  being 19) but would love to have his meal put aside for when he returned later in the evening.  K-O. Can do.

But when I pulled out the steaks, they smelled too perfect and wonderful from the marinade for me to want to cook his and let it sit and get cold all evening. I could just cook his fresh when he got home so he could have his hot and sizzling.

What a nice dad, what a nice plan.

But the best laid plans 'o mince an Men aft gang agley...

Ethan came home late, after I had retired (6am comes quickly) and failed to have the energy to broil that baby up. so next day I find it in the fridge still in its bath of marinade (almost 24 hours) and boy howdy,  the steak I had for lunch was flat out the most tender and juicy and complex flavored steak I've ever had.

1/3 cup sherry
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup olive oil (some of my good stuff)

2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
6 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper

whisk it smooth and blended and then float your cuts of steak somewhere between 5 and 24 hours.  Grill* or oven broil.

* first choice

Best steak ever. Period.

Comments

Popular Posts