Thai Street Food In Canyon

Damn it's hot. Not too hot to cook, just too hot to care or make decisions.  My kitchen is messy, I worked 11 hours in the heat, I have nothing planned and gave up and decide to just go to the store and get a frozen pizza for Patty and Ethan and browse for something that grabs my interest.  I felt like a muttering, cranky old man.

The over air-conditioned aisles and flag-draped suburban matrons browsing for hot dogs and badly limp chicken (July 4th coming up) kind of depressed me and as  I swanked past the butcher shop section.  I saw the saddest prefabbed chicken kebobs in history.  Yet that was my click moment.

Heat -  kebab - THAILAND.  Done and done. I remembered I had a few pounds of sirloin in the fridge, excellent skewers, a working BBQ and tons of Thai spices.

So....

I got some coconut milk, cilantro, a few diff colored bells and some pineapple slices.

Back at the ranch I poured into a bowl (not in this order necessarily):


  • 15 oz coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons of Red Thai chili paste
  • 2 long squirts of Sriracha
  • a glug and a half of Thai peanut sauce
  • a long dribble of pineapple juice 
  • and some chopped cilantro
  • 1.5 lbs of cubed sirloin


A fast two hour marinade (warm and lightly covered, not in the fridge) and then I skewered the meat chunks alternating green and orange bell cutlings and pineapple slices and then out to the BFG2000 (Still after all these years my workhorse of a grill).

6 to 8 mins a side on a super hot (700 degree grill) and we're just talking heaven on earth.

The high heat is important so it sears the baby Jeebus out of the marinated beef and gives it a luscious crust while being super tender and juicy inside.

i will never fear a hot and seemingly uninspired night again.


Comments

Popular Posts