Corn Stock! It's a thing!!

I was always told, learn something new every day to keep the brain in gear.  It's so true and sometimes those new things catapult into other new adventures.  Today was one of those times.

Okay, so I make my own stock. yes, I'm a pioneer.  I constantly have on had 2-5 quarts of chicken or pork stock in the fridge and use them in stews, gravies, soups and of course my all-time fav, Risotto.  It's really what makes what comes out of one's home kitchen as good or better than a restaurant.

I don't make veggie stock too often as I find it a bit bland, preferring the luscious and warming flavor hills and valleys of pork or chicken/veggie concoctions.

So surprised was I last night while having some of the first early, early summer corn on the cob to stumble upon an article about the wonders of using those old cobs to make an amazingly fast and delicious cooking stock.

I am told this golden mixture is far and beyond most perfect for risotto so of course, I gathered all the cobs while cleaning up dinner and set them aside for duty this morning.

Usually, my stocks are a combo of onions, carrots, celery, misc veggies, bay leaves and of course bones and three to four hours of slow, barely simmer  -  then straining and skimming fat and straining again.

Not so with da cobs.  I just dunked them in water about 2 inches over their heads and simmered for just under an hour.  One pour through a colander to get rid of excess kernels and done. Easy as.....  well, corn stock


The golden stock just for action with my risotto tonight.




Comments

  1. Yes! I make stock with leftover corn cobs, after I make a delicious quinoa recipe that uses fresh corn and corn cob milk (scraping the cobs with back of a chef's knife until the milky fluid releases).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts