Pasta Limone

When one thinks of pasta one's minds eyes generally conjures up something between or including red sauce spaghetti like your mom used to make; green as a Summer in Chianti pesto or thick comforting ragu alla Bolognese.

All good for sure.  But on my last trip to Rome I happened upon a serving of the most lusciously creamy and mouth-watering pasta I've ever had.  In fact, on that sunny mid-afternoon in the Trastevere I believe it not just the best pasta, but was flat out the best food I've ever leet pass my lips, period.

That sounds pretty hyphy, I know, but once you try this, if you get the flavor balance right you'll know exactly whence I speak.

Pasta Limone.  Superbly tasty and possibly the easiest thing you'll ever cook.

To set the mood, well, you had to be there.  A sunny, not cold at all for December day in the Trastevere, we were tramping about looking for a Christmas fair we'd seen on a flier on a light pole - and not having much luck. There was no address on the flier, just a vague reference to a piazza near our favorite bakery Griselda, which we found, but no sign of a fair.

Getting weary of hiking the cobblestone streets and hills, I begged for food. I decided to heck with the art fair, give me a cafe table and a few hours of relaxing with food. I vowed that 'I would stop at the first place to catch my eye.

In the Trastevere, that means a half a block at most.




And yes, a few steps away we found Cafe Baylon. The super friendly host (as are most all Romani) recommended the pasta limone. Rule #1 Always go with the recommendation. This is not the US where they just want to scam you to buy the stuff they dropped on the floor or that has the highest profit margin. This is pride in their art and joy in presenting good food. 

So we got the pasta Limone as suggested and indeed it was life-changing.  Cafe Baylon's dish was perfect in all ways. I've made it five times since and I am still climbing that particular hill of knowledge.

This recipe is my current attempt at Baylon perfection:

what you need on hand

lemons two or three, depending on size: zested and juiced
fresh chopped mint -  pick tons from your garden, you can use any excess for an after-dinner tea
pecorino cheese;  3 cups. 2 for your sauce and one for the final garnish -it depends on your level of love for cheese, finely grated - It must be pecorino to achieve the proper frothy creaminess.
evoo a third of a cup. 

long, dried pasta -  spaghetti, fettuccine, or my favorite: chitarra or bucatini.  Anything long and dried so the rich sauce doesn't get too absorbed. 

The how to:

 In a large pot of salted water start boiling your pasta.  Your sauce will be ready in time, I promise.

In a large skillet place the oil, the mint torn into pieces, and zest of 1 lemons and two to three tablespoons of lemon juice.  don't cook it - set it aside. 

In a mixing bowl put 2 cups your pecorino cheese, zest of 1 lemon, and 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice. Set it aside also.

When your pasta is ready and done al dente turn on your burner under the skillet of OO, mint and lemon zest. Super low, as low as your stovetop burner will go as you only want to gently heat, not burn your lemon zest and juice - that will cause the taste to become bitter. Add a spoon or two of pasta water.
 Drain and place the pasta into the skillet and mix with tongs or flip by hand if you're fearless or not drinking wine.  

 Add three or four spoons of pasta water to your bowl of cheese and zest and whisk into a semi-liquid state.  You're going for a frothy creaminess, not a soup. when it's smooth, add it to the skillet and toss and mix thoroughly. 

Grate more, yes more pecorino over the top and let it melt in before tossing again.

É Pronto! 

Plate and serve immediately, topped with some more zest, more mint and of course more grated pecorino


E' Perfetto:




The night I forgot to pick the mint. Actually, I was in Rome and there was no fresh mint available. But good cheap wine made me overlook that.  This was my first attempt!



Enjoy....

Comments

Popular Posts