Arrabbiata, baby

Another step on my Italian cooking foray by the mother of invention: necessity.  After a long day of work; 6am to 5pm I was beat and since I had the luxury of working from home was still in my jammies (the year without pants!).  I had no energy to think about whipping up something complex and special, or even bothering to drive to the store -- I had to go with whatever stuff I  happened to have laying around the house or go hungry.  I hate going hungry.

Inventory taken

Garlic?  Duh
Red pepper flakes?  Plenty
Fresh parsley?  Of course
Tomatoes?  Never without
Pasta?  Double duh

So that sealed the deal, something I've been thinking about making for a while.  Arrabbiata - Angry pasta, without having to get dressed and go out.

Beginnings:

A little different then the normal approach:  Instead of throwing everything into a sizzling, oil spitting skillet I slowly heated my best olive oil at low-medium flame with a handful of chopped garlic and red pepper ramping up to a near sizzle. I helicopter parented the burner so they were just quivering in the oil and lightly twisting, cooking slow and releasing their fragrance in stages.

When the garlic was just turning golden I dumped in a handful of parsley  and a leaf or two of basil I found at the bottom of my herb drawer in the fridge.

A shot of lemon juice and some cracked black pepper to taste finished it off.

The perfume of southern Italy was starting to grab the dogs' attention.



Next came a pile of diced tomatoes, brought to a simmer while i boiled some pasta.

When the boiling pasta just crossed that magic line from al dente to adolescence it got drained and plopped into the large skillet where the bubbling Arrabbiata sauce anxiously awaited.


Simmered together for :20 seconds and we achieved Heaven. Absolute heaven.  Rich and earthy with a wonderful kick from the garlic and pepper flakes.

I would happily eat this every night if it wouldn't make me weigh 1,000 lbs

Comments

Popular Posts