Why in Gawd's name does anyone ever buy salad dressing from the store?

Once I discovered the joy of making my own salad dressing, it actually made me want to eat more salads.

Last night's creation:

I made a citrus vinaigrette using just stuff I have around the kitchen at all times and a compulsive buy I found at the market.

While getting some fresh romaine lettuce I found a blood orange.  It's been my favorite fruit since the long ago trip to Sicily and that first jet-lagged morning when it cured my dehydration and totally made me fall in love at first sight. So snag it I did for my vinaigrette.

  • the vinaigrette:
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1.5 teaspoon blood orange* zest
  • 3 tablespoons minced shallots
  • black pepper to taste

*substitute orange, grapefruit, tangerine as avail.

Total time to create:  3-4 mins tops


The cool thing is, after harvesting the zest, I cut up the blood orange slices and tossed them on top of the salad along with some sliced radishes and red onion 


Pure Heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts